|California Wine Club|
|Highlights||Quality Wines, Five Different Club Options, and Customizable Delivery.|
|How Often & How Much||2 to 4 bottles per month, every other month, or quarterly Club options.|
|Price||The price ranges from $40 to $230 per shipment.|
|Wine Choices||You can mix and match white and red wine.|
|Ships To||Not Stated|
How It Works
While other wine clubs tend to make you feel boxed in with only one or two available delivery options, The California Wine Club offers an extraordinary number of ways for you to customize your wine experience. To start off, wine enthusiasts have the option of choosing one or more of the wine club levels to suit their preferences. The California Wine Club is currently offering:
- The Premier Series: This is the most popular and is also the most affordable option. Members at this level get two bottles of California small-batch wine with the option to choose one red and one white, two bottles of red, or two bottles of white. At just over $40 per shipment, this is an excellent way for someone to begin learning about wine, or for anyone who just wants to drink good wine at an affordable price.
- The Signature Series: For wine lovers who want to try the best wines California has to offer, the Signature Series is the go-to choice. Members at this level can choose shipments of two, three, or four bottles of wine with a rating of at least 90 points. The price at this level starts at $134 per shipment for two bottles and almost doubles for a four-bottle shipment. The price isn’t cheap, but it is more than reasonable for wine of this caliber. This membership level is meant for experienced wine drinkers who are able to appreciate fine wine.
- The International Series: California offers outstanding wineries, but there is an entire world of wine out there worth trying. The International Series is a reliable way to start exploring. Each shipment at this level includes two bottles of wine from smaller international wineries, and members can choose between receiving one bottle each of red and one white wine, or two bottles of the same red wine. Starting at just $71 per shipment, this is an inexpensive way to sample some outstanding international wines.
- The Aged Cabernet Series: For those who enjoy the full-bodied and mellowed taste of an aged Cabernet, this membership level is a great bargain. Each shipment includes two bottles of the finest Napa Valley Cabernets which have been professionally aged between 8 and 12 years and is ready to enjoy immediately. The cost of each shipment of the Aged Cabernet Series varies based on market price but averages out to be $231. It is indeed a remarkable deal for wine of this quality.
- The Pacific Northwest Series: Oregon and the state of Washington have a long history of producing fine wines. Subscribers to the Pacific Northwest Series can choose to enjoy either a bottle each of red and white wine or two bottles of red per shipment from the region’s smaller wineries. The price for this membership level is just $77 per order.
- The Case Club Series: This is one of the best deals that The California Wine Club or any club can offer. Each shipment at this level contains three bottles of four different wines for an entire case of wine at an incredibly low price. Most wine is from California wineries, but some shipments may include international or Pacific Northwest selections. Subscribers to this club level have the option of selecting a mixture of red and white wines, or if they prefer, all red or all white wines. At only $159 per shipment, it is hard to go wrong.
In addition to the wine, each shipment arrives with an easy-to-understand tasting notes guide for each bottle, discounts on reordering wine from the club’s online wine shop, VIP invitations for select winery tours, access to personal wine consultants, and the club’s exclusive Love It Guarantee.
A Sample of Available Wines in the California Wine Club
One of the best parts of being a member of The California Wine Club is having access to little-known, artisan wines which you can’t find anywhere else. Although each shipment of wine is different, some previous selections included:
- Peju Winery 2016 Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc, rated best in class.
- Samuel Robert Winery 2017 Vintners’ Reserve Williamette Valley Pinot Noir Rose, earned 90 points from Wine Enthusiast.
- Domain Road Vineyard 2014 Central Otago Duffers Creek Riesling, earned 91 points from Wine Spectator.
- Morgan Winery 2015 Double L Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands Chardonnay, earned 93 points from Wine Enthusiast.
- Grgich Hills Estate 2009 Estate Grown Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, earned 93 points from the Testing Panel.
- Clos Bagatelle 2014 La Terre de Mon Pere Saint-Chinian Red, earned 93 points from Wine Advocate.
- Long Shadows Vintners 2015 Columbia Valley Saggi, earned 94 points from Jeb Dunnuck.
Unlike other wine clubs which force their members to receive monthly shipments, The California Wine Club allows members to choose a shipping schedule which works for them. Every membership level aside from The Pacific Northwest Series offers monthly, every other month, or quarterly shipments. Members who subscribe to The Pacific Northwest Series can choose to receive shipments every other month or quarterly. One of the few negatives about The California Wine Club is that shipping is not included with the price of any membership, so you need to take that into consideration when thinking about prices. The good news is that if you choose to reorder any of the wines from your shipment, you can select ground shipping for only $1 per case, saving you a ton.
If there is one area where The California Wine Club could improve, it is how the company handles customer service. Although customer service reps are very knowledgeable, friendly and ready to help members solve any issues, they are not always available. There is no way to contact the company’s representatives online, and the company’s phones are only open Monday through Friday from 8AM to 5PM Pacific time. For customers on the East coast, catching a customer service rep in the office can be a little tricky. Other than the availability issue, the customer service is top-notch. Billing issues are addressed quickly, and it is simple to suspend, cancel or change your membership level at any time. One of the best things about The California Wine Club is their simple Love It Guarantee. If a member is ever disappointed by a wine selection they receive, the company will replace the wine or provide a refund. You can’t get much more customer-oriented than that! It is clear that The California Wine Club is dedicated to providing an enjoyable wine subscription service for all of its members.
A Great Gift Idea
Membership in The California Wine Club is a thoughtful gift for anyone who appreciates good wine. Gift givers can choose any membership level, along with their preferred number of shipments. The club will even include two additional free bottles of wine or one sparkling bottle of wine (for memberships of three months or longer), in the first shipment.
What People Are Saying About The California Wine Club
The California Wine Club labels itself as the “most loved wine club,” and it is clear that most of their members agree. The testimonials from current members are overwhelmingly positive. Some recent reviews on Facebook include: “Every shipment is greatly packaged, and the information packet is top-notch. Every bottle that I have received has been wonderful. They take time to hand pick selections.” B. R. “The best part is you don’t have to be a wine expert to enjoy these sips because your subscription includes a Personal Wine Consultant and a copy of Uncorked magazine with deets on the featured wines. How fab is that?” N.S. “I get a variety of delicious wines at an affordable price. I always try something new, and the selection has been amazing. A total value! Thank you, Tasha, for your great service and exceptional wines. Cheers!” A. W.
California Wine Club Discounts and Deals
Everyone loves getting a deal. From time to time there are The California Wine Club coupons and offers available from affiliates or directly from the club itself. Currently, The California Wine Club store is holding its huge Spring sale where members can save up to 69 percent off select wines. Check it out here.
California Wine Club